Red Panda Network

Eine bedrohte Tierart

Red Panda Network (RPN) protects wild red pandas and their habitat through the education and empowerment of local communities.

The Eastern Himalayan Broadleaf Forest Ecoregion is one of the most biodiverse regions in the world. It is home to many unique and threatened species including snow leopards, clouded leopards, Asiatic black bears, Assam macaques, Asiatic wild dogs, and red pandas.

The red panda has been identified as an indicator and umbrella species of this ecoregion.  We have identified one location in this area that is critical to the preservation of the endangered red panda:  the Panchthar-Ilam-Taplejung (PIT) corridor.

The PIT corridor of eastern Nepal supports 25 percent of the red panda population of Nepal and plays a vital role linking protected areas of Nepal and India. Unsustainable livestock grazing, agriculture and resource harvesting practices are the major drivers of deforestation and forest degradation in the PIT corridor, which is threatening red pandas and their habitat. Illegal poaching is also on the rise in this area.

Since 2007, RPN has been working to protect red pandas and their habitat in the PIT corridor. We use an integrated, landscape level approach to red panda conservation which includes research and monitoringeducation and outreach, habitat protection and restoration, and sustainable development initiatives. We have successfully expanded our programs to central and western Nepal and Bhutan, and will continue to duplicate our efforts in all red panda range countries, including India, China, and Myanmar.

80% of your donations go directly to managing these activities and support our conservation efforts around the world. The other 20% is used to support our administrative costs in the United States and Nepal. We work with many enthusiastic volunteers to keep costs at a minimum. We thank you for your support in enabling us to make a difference for red pandas and local communities.


Mehr über den roten Panda ...!


Life For Nature | Stiftung für Tierschutz, Natur und Umwelt | 06147-204823 |
© 2018 | Datenschutz | Impressum